Another Day in the Life

We are now back in Lira after a busy extended weekend. After a brief stint of homelessness, we are at the house where we will, god willing, be living for a while. I'm at the point where it takes faith in a higher power to believe that what works today will work tomorrow. It would be so nice if just this one time there were no hitch that meant taking two steps backward for every step forward.

I can now say that I've been homeless in rural East Africa, which I guess is a notch on my belt. Not that it was much of a big deal, since accommodation for two runs from $6 a night at a sketchy place to $20 at the upperend place we actually stayed in. You'd think that given there were no dogs (NGO house), roosters (Sipi), boda accidents (Mbale downtown), ghosts (Mbale nicer place), or lizards, that I'd have slept like death. As it turned out, for some reason I couldn't sleep at all, so instead I fell asleep sitting in the dirt this afternoon. I'm not sure that I don't have malaria. Things are good though, just another day in the life. We finally found our guy, he seems totally legit and as it turns out is an expert on microfinance. Really nice guy, really nice house, mango tree in the backyard. So What's the hitch?

I'm not jaded, I swear. We're having a great time and meeting really cool people. Living in Africa is hard work though.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Sometimes the bar, well ... he eats you"

Greatest Hitz

The End of Africa